they are children, sansa thought. they are silly little girls, even elinor. they’ve never seen a battle, they’ve never seen a man die, they know nothing. their dreams were full of songs and stories, the way hers had been before joffrey cut her fathers head off. sansa pitied them. sansa envied them.
Lessons in feminist praxis from Adventure Time.
D.O - 140126 Oak Valley Winter Festival 2013/14 Season Popular Musician’s Special Concert
Credit: Lovely Doh. (오크밸리 Winter Festival 13/14시즌 인기가수 특별 콘서트)
That’s all I have. Being able to help you study, a cute junior and a brusque father, and this starry sky. That’s all I have. That’s all I can give you, Araragi-kun. That’s everything.
It’s really hard to respect someone who has hair like that. Looks like a joke.
GE employees asked the youngest members of their families to explain what they do. Sydney, age 3, said, "My mom works on things that shows mommies their babies before they’re born."
Illustration by Victo Ngai.
This made me so happy
- One of the first women to start her own independent production company.
- Earned her way to stardom without sleeping with executives for roles.
- Refused to date people for publicity just because 20th Century Fox wanted her to.
- Left 20th Century Fox because she refused to let them get away with treating her badly and paying her a tiny wage, just because of her “dumb blonde” image.
- Was only paid a fraction of her co-star’s wage even though she was the star of the movies and the biggest box office pull, but still went ahead with the movies because she was so passionate about acting.
- Studied method acting at the Actors Studio with Lee Strasberg, who said that she was one of his best students along with Marlon Brando.
- Had a personal library of over 500 books and rarely read fiction - she was desperate to learn and educate herself.
- Was sexually abused as a child but then went on to encourage the sexual liberation of women in the 1950s.
- One of the first people to speak openly about sexual abuse.
- One of the first people to openly support gay rights.
- Supported many charities such as the Milk Fund, March of Dimes, Arthritis and Rheumatism foundation.
- Donated her time and money to these charities.
- Visited orphanages and hospitals on her own time to surprise the people there.
- Married one of the greatest literary minds of the 20th century
- Suffered two miscarriages and one ectopic pregnancy and still put on a brave face for her fans.
Sorry, did you say she wasn’t a role model?
marilyn is my biggest role model so don’t even go there
and let’s not forget this
Ella Fitzgerald was not allowed to play at the popular Mocambo, in Hollywood, because of her race. Marilyn, who loved her music and supported civil rights, called the owner of the Mocambo and told him that if he booked Ella immediately, she would take a front table every night. The owner said yes, and Marilyn was there, front table, every night. After that, Ella never had to play in a small jazz club again.
"She was an unusual woman – a little ahead of her times. And she didn’t know it." - Ella Fitzgerald about Marilyn Monroe
OH SHIT YOU JUST GOT SERVED
I got goosebumps reading this. Amazing.
Marilyn Monroe was unusual and still widely misunderstood.
Too often we adore her appearance and quotes about beauty and love, yet we never adore her personality of seemingly being one of the most caring folks you might have met.